took the elevator up to floor five and walked down the creaky hallway
to my apartment. I never locked my door so I just strolled right in.
I looked around my cramped one-room apartment. It was messy, but it
was still a place to call my own. I was still in high school but had
my own place because I left my single mother and two younger sisters
due to a fight with my mom about going to a party where some idiots
were drinking underage. For the record I never touched the stuff.
When I was 9, my alcoholic dad was killed in a drive-by shooting when
my mom was pregnant with my youngest sister. Naturally alcohol has
no appeal to me. Like I said before, my place was a mess, my clothes
thrown around, stuff with inch tall dust on it and for no reason,
a tank full of gasoline. My days were usually the same: get up, take
the bus to school, take the bus to my job at a pizzeria, work until
5:00, take the bus home with a pizza, do my homework, go on the computer,
watch TV, and then go to sleep. On this particular day, I went to
the computer and accidentally knocked the tank of gasoline onto my
I grabbed a towel off a table
and began to wipe up the floor. After that I threw the towel on the
pearly white fire escape. Then I went on with my mind-numbingly routine
life. A few days later I missed my bus ride home and had to walk.
When I was a block from my house a teenage girl with a cigarette in
her mouth, offered me a smoke. As much as I regret it now, I accepted
and became hooked.
later I was home watching TV with a cigarette in my mouth. I glanced
at the clock and noticed it was 12:54. Most nights I fall asleep around
11:30. I decided to call it a night. I flicked away my cigarette butt
and turned off my TV. I was asleep in minutes. I awoke at 3:16 to
the smell of smoke, my apartment was on fire! I ran across my room
and grabbed my backpack, which had my wallet and my cell phone. I
dashed towards my fire escape, got out, and began to scream bloody
murder. I noticed that my left slipper was actually on fire. I tossed
it aside...right onto the gasoline-soaked towel!! I stretched for
the slipper but my hand just fell short. FLOOM!!! I was too late and
now I'm gone.